Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hells Bells!

I am so frigging tired of the West Seattle bridge situation!!!!!  Honestly -- it is so absurd -- we are morons to put up with this $#it.  

Accident investigation shut down 99 northbound -- so nobody could exit the bridge and get on to 99 North -- and that meant everybody and their dog was having to continue crossing the bridge and take  the I-5 or 4th Ave. Exit -- which means that all of us were late to anywhere we may have been going today.

I had the pleasure of crossing the bridge 6 times today.  Twice, the bridge was completely backed up to 35th Ave.   I kept thinking to myself "Do it!  Do it!  Just get out of your car, leave it running, and walk away!"  I would have LOVED to have done that -- just muck up the mess even more.  Does that mean I have a screw loose, or do other people ever get so fed up that they want to do irrational and stupid things too?

But I digress....

Apparently there was a horrible accident someplace up on 99 Northbound.   This required the police to position cruisers on the bridge, blocking the exit to 99 north so an accident investigation could commence.  That must have been one confusing accident (huh?) because the accident investigation went on forever -- 99 northbound was closed for about 4 hours!  I do feel horribly for whoever may have lost their life in that accident -- and for their family.  It is tragic and I am sure if it had been a loved one of mine I would very much want/need  there to be an explanation of what happened and why -- but how long does it really take to figure out how a fatal crash/accident happened?  I understand the need to close the highway for a certain, reasonable, amount of time -- but can't they take photos and review those for answers, along with talking with witnesses, instead of keeping the highway closed for hours and hours?   Geez Louise!  I mean REALLY -- knowing that portion of 99 -- there must have been about 100 other drivers who witnessed the accident.  Collect witness names and contact info, clear the accident, take lots of photos and video, and then get the heck out of there.  Having that highway blocked during prime commute time is INSANE.  

Oh, and to make matters worse - during the duration of this outrageously long closure of 99 north, a car ran out of gas or just stopped working in the middle of the bridge -- blocking another lane -- OMG -- just when you think it can't get any worse... it ALWAYS CAN get worse.

Oh well-- tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure this couldn't possibly happen two days in a row, right? Tomorrow's commute will be a dream in comparison to the misery that was going on today.  Plus, it will hopefully be "Friday Lite".





4 comments:

  1. Hi BB. I could see that accident from my office - well, the aftermath of the accident. And indeed it seemed bizarre to me too. I could see the motorcycle laying on its side, and I believe the victim was still there as well, bless his soul. But the weird thing is there was just one patrol car, one police motorcyle and one van there. I could see someone taking pictures but nothing else was happening. At least that I could see. When I left work at 5 I took the viaduct southbound and it was like a warzone. The cars had been vacated off the on-ramp by the stadiums but there were still buses and trucks that could not make that turn. I guess people on the buses had to walk off to somewhere. And the bridge was backed up like I've never seen it before. It does seem they could have completed the accident investigation a lot quicker - there was really nothing to see, at least from my vantage point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- that is crazy. I wonder if they had to dust for fingerprints or something ;) Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one scratching my head over that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 deaths in the same area, same major road closed twice in less than 24 hours .. only in Seattle! AND, this weekend it will be closed for maintenace. WTF. I've lived here for decades and we never had so many major closures almost every weekend. We have more people living here now and the roads are closed more often? It's bad enough we have to deal with the west seattle (BOHICA) bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it is just getting started -- just wait until the viaduct comes down for real and the tunnel makes its debut.

    ReplyDelete