Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lane jockeying...

Today was the same old, same old... bridge backed up (no reason -- just because there are too many of us and not enough bridge)  But, luckily, traffic was still moving.   And then it stopped.  Big surprise.

It was moving just slowly (and just quickly) enough for me to observe the lane jockeying.   I am good at it too.  I know all of us who drive on the bridge have figured out our timing as to what lane to be in, and when to get in it.   And perhaps, when to get out of it.

But still -- I always look to see if there could possibly be a better strategy to get me across the bridge just a little more quickly.   Sometimes I doubt myself ... "Did I get over too soon?  Did I miss my chance to switch lanes?  Did I wait too long?  Should I have tried to be in the right lane for a bit longer -- or conversely, the left lane?  Didn't I pass that blue SUV a while back -- what's it doing in front of me? DARN!  I knew I should have stayed in that lane!"    

Most days I just stick to my tried and true routine of utilizing the left lane first, then once I pass the big merge -- hop over to the right lane and proceed up Beacon Hill.  But some days, I just can't help myself -- I get a wild hair and decide to shake it up -- and it usually ends up badly.   

Today I was successful in getting out of the scrum and making my way, painlessly, up to Beacon Hill.  Ta-da.   I felt so smug.
WTF!?  Indeed... you better not try and cross that double white line mister!



No comments:

Post a Comment